Monday 13 June 2011

Prince Achmed. You're Not Leaving so Soon, Are You?

Courtney Reed as Princess Jasmine, Photo by Mark Kitaoka

The video of Courtney Reed performing "Call Me a Princess" from Aladdin: The New Stage Musical on New Day Northwest earlier today has finally been posted online by King 5, and it's great to finally hear one of the lost Ashman and Menken songs come to life!

The video includes a short interview with Courtney that gives some context to the song (which I won't repeat here in case anyone is trying to avoid even minor spoilers) and also gives a brief look at some new publicity shots of Courtney as Jasmine, Sean S. Griffin as the Sultan and Adam Jacobs as Aladdin.

I'll admit that I was very surprised and a little nervous (for Jasmine's character) when I heard that this song was being included, but the context it's sung in makes perfect sense and in that context it becomes a really fun number, which is evident in Courtney's performance on the show.

Tomorrow night is Aladdin Spotlight Night, so I hope all those lucky people who are going have a great time, and I can't wait to hear all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment