Sunday 8 June 2014

James Monroe Iglehart - Tony Award Winner!

James Monroe Iglehart as Genie, Photo by Cylla Von Tiedemann (now with added Tony)
He did it!!  After a fantastic performance of Friend Like Me James Monroe Iglehart took to the stage a second time, this time a Tony Award Winner, to accept the award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Musical for his portrayal of Genie in Aladdin.

It was 2am here in the UK and I was sat up wide awake with a massive grin on my face.  I'm so happy right now!!  I'll update this post properly tomorrow with JMI's acceptance speech and (hopefully) the performance of Friend Like Me, I just wanted to post this now!

James - congratulations, I know this is a dream come true for you and I'm so happy for you.  The award couldn't have gone to a nicer or more talented guy, you truly deserve this.  Congratulations!!!


 
And here's the update I promised!
 
The night started on a carpet, since the Tony's didn't have a magic carpet a red one had to do;
 

 
The gorgeous Courtney Reed (along with Adam Jacobs and Chad Beguelin) joined JMI on the red carpet on The Tony Awards online second screen;
 

 
Then the one and only Hugh Jackman bounced his way through the opening number, greeting many of the nominated casts as he went (including cast members from Aladdin as the orchestra plays A Whole New World);
 


After the first interval came the performance I was waiting for as JMI and the cast of Aladdin danced like they were on the Tonys!



Then, finally, came the moment of truth;



Get him a doggy bag, he's takin' it home!!

James Monroe Iglehart took home the award and celebrated with a Praise Shout, the first I've ever seen and probably the first on the Tonys as well!

And at the end of the night James and the rest of the 2014 Tony Award winners joined Hugh Jackman on stage for one last celebration;




Disney's never had a winner like him!

No comments:

Post a Comment